Google Analytics with Data Studio
Every site that uses the USU Template is automatically tracked by Google Analytics (as of July 2017). We use the Google Data Studio reporting tool to present the data gathered to interested web content managers and webmasters.
To gain access to this data, please contact the IT Web Team. The IT Web Team will configure your report to reflect your analytics needs. If your needs change, contact the IT Web Team to make adjustments.
The basic report is a great starting point to understanding Analytics. It gives you the top viewed pages on your site.
If you would like a more in-depth look into your analytics, let the IT Web Team know. There are many ways to configure your data, and depending on the questions you have, different metrics to give you the insight you seek.
Take a look at some of the different metrics we can offer in a report.
Excluding Content Manager Traffic
Each visitor to a website can be tracked with Google Analytics, this includes those who work on the website, like you! If you are concerned about including your activity on your website in your data, you can take action to exclude your activity as follows:
- Open this window in every browser you use (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.) on every device you use (office computer, home computer, phone, laptop, tablet, etc.) to access your USU website.
- Click the link below in each of those browsers. This will insert a cookie into your browser that allows us to exclude your visitor data. Please note that if you experience a problem with this step (the message below won't turn green), you may have an Adblocker installed and you will need to temporarily disable that Adblocker to insert the cookie. NOTE: You may have to refresh the page to see the update, or click the button twice.
A Few External Resources
- Google Analytics Training and Support
- Absolute Beginners Guide to Google Analytics: An overview of what Google Analytics can do for you and how to understand it. Note: The IT Web Team will set up Google Analytics for your OU Campus site, so the most valuable section will be "How to View Google Analytics Data."
- Understanding Google Analytics: A Simple Guide to Advanced Terms